What is Cellars Wine Club?
Cellars Wine Club is a collaboration between Holly and Mark Ihrig who launched their venture in 1999. Mark had already operated a brick-and-mortar wine store for years, so he had his thumb on the pulse of what people liked to drink plus a firm knowledge of the latest industry trends. Holly, on the other hand, had the business sense to take the venture online. First and foremost, they’re wine lovers, who enjoy sharing their passion with their members through a range of carefully-crafted club options.
How Does Cellars Wine Club Work?
There are 12 options of memberships to choose from, so you’ll have no problem finding one that fits the bill. You sign up, and the automated system processes your order each month, so you don’t have to remember to renew it. You can also change over to different clubs or cancel outright with no fuss.
Follow the steps outlined below to sign up for a Cellars Wine Club subscription plan.
- Go to the ‘Wine Clubs’ tab.
- Take your pick from 12 clubs.
- Click on ‘Shop Now.’
- Select the number of shipments, frequency, start month, and wine preference.
- Furnish your shipping and billing information to complete the order. You can do this with your account or as a guest.
- Enjoy your wine shipment!
How Much Do Cellars Wine Club Memberships Cost?
Subscriptions start at $29 for a single bottle and go up to $369 for a case of 12 bottles. Ground shipping is included for all clubs.
Customers can pay for wine club membership with standard credit card options.
About the Wine
A wine club review wouldn’t be complete without a look at the selections! A team of in-house tasters tries new wines and adds them to the Cellars Wine Club’s catalog if they meet high quality standards. The club has a perfect mix of timeless classic labels and fresh discoveries. As the team is made up of wine lovers, they place themselves in the members’ shoes, choose each bottle with subscribers in mind, and curate each shipment with care. Cellars has built up firm partnerships with wineries in both Washington State and around the globe to bring subscribers the latest and the finest.
Cellars Wine Club Features:
Color: Rose, Red, White, Sparkling
Region: United States, Australia, France, Germany, Spain, South Africa, New Zealand, Italy, Argentina, and more.
Grape: Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Malbec, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Nebbiolo, Pinot Gris, Zinfandel, Shiraz, and more.
Cellars Wine Club Wine Brands
This club’s unique selling point, by far, is its showcasing of labels from the US, especially names from Washington making it the best club for local wines. It also delivers iconic wines from Old and New World regions. Below are examples of the brands and types of wines you can expect in your shipments.
- Stag’s Leap Napa Valley Chardonnay: A fresh, fruity, medium-bodied, Californian take on this classic grape.
- Paxton Wines: Organic and biodynamic wines from Australia’s McClaren Vale.
- Robert Weil: Fine German wines from a top VDP producer in Rheingau.
- Dunham Cellars: A leading winery in Walla Walla, Washington that produces beautiful Bordeaux-style blends as well as Riesling, Chardonnay, and Syrah.
- DeMorgenzon Estate: South African expressions of classic French styles as well as flagship varieties like Chenin Blanc.
Cellars Wine Club Membership Benefits
For oenophiles who want to enjoy hand-selected reds, whites, rosés, and fizz, Cellars Wine Club keeps things real through its grass-roots relationships with wineries. You always know your cases will be filled with labels chosen by people who know and love wine and supplied by producers who are intent on handcrafting bottles they can be proud of.
Here are some of the top benefits you can enjoy when signing up for Cellars Wine Club.
Whether you go for the single bottle club or opt for a caseload, you can choose monthly or quarterly delivery. Also, ground shipping is included in the price.
Good Customer Service
The Customer Service team at Cellars Wine Club is available via toll-free phone across the U.S. from 9 am to 4 pm (PST), Monday through Friday. Members and prospective subscribers can also get in touch via email and mail.
Educating Buyers About Wine
To help members learn as they sip, Cellars Wine Club provides tasting notes on each bottle plus tips on tasting and the background on its provenance.
If you sign up for the Cellars Wine Club email list, you’ll be among the first to find out about special offers and promotions. Shipments also include the club’s newsletter for the lowdown on great deals, the latest wines in the portfolio, and any other interesting news for members.
Unlike some wine clubs, you don’t have to sign up for a minimum number of months. You can start with a one-month delivery and take it from there. This is perfect if you want to try the Cellars Wine Club out before committing to long-term membership.
Cellars Wine Club Membership Programs
- Subscribers pick from 12 clubs covering different themes, bottle counts, and delivery frequencies.
- Prices start at $29 and go up to $369. Ground shipping is free for each club.
Cellars Wine Club Membership Length
Delivery frequencies range from monthly, bi-monthly, and quarterly depending on the wine club. It’s important to note the full-case memberships are only dispatched quarterly. If you ever want to cancel, the process is simple.
Can I Give Cellars Wine Club Membership as A Gift?
You can give a friend or a loved any one of the Cellars Wine Club memberships. You can complete your order through your personal account by selecting the club, bottle count, and delivery interval to suit your recipient. A welcomed feature of this club is the pricing and billing information are not included in shipments, thus, making them perfect for gift-giving.
Price and Shipping
- There’s no additional cost for delivery for any of Cellars Wine Club memberships.
- Shipping reaches all states in the US except for Alaska, Alabama, Delaware, North Dakota, South Dakota, Hawaii, Mississippi, Rhode Island, Kentucky, New Hampshire, and Utah. This policy pertains to the alcohol laws in these states.
- Orders are shipped on the 20th of each month, and you can opt to provide an email address to receive a tracking number and delivery notifications. Poor weather may occasionally delay shipping. In this event, Cellars Wine Club informs customers. For your convenience, the club can deliver shipments to both residential and business addresses.
Skip A Month
There doesn’t appear to be a ‘skip-a-month’ option, but you can easily cancel as long as you do so by the 7th of the month.
Service and Contact Availability
Cellars Wine Club has several ways of getting in touch with a customer service rep.
- You can call the toll-free number. Lines are open between 9 am and 4 pm, Monday to Friday (PST).
- You can also contact them by email and mail.
- The club has a social media presence across a range of platforms where you can also reach out.
You are free to cancel at any time but must call customer service by the 7th of the month.
- Cellars Wine Club has a number of memberships dedicated to particular types like red, sparkling, natural, and sweet. However, it doesn’t have a club focused specifically on white varieties. While you can select all whites within some memberships, a subscription dedicated entirely to white wines would greatly enhance the club portfolio.
- Finally, if you want to cancel, you have to contact customer service rather than doing so independently through your account. Customer service hours are limited to weekdays so this could be inconvenient.
Differences From the Competitors
While some individuals establish a wine club because they seem like a good business prospect, or the founder knows a lot about tasting technology and wants to try it out, Cellars Wine Club was founded by die-hard wine lovers. This gives it a personal, hands-on vibe, and you feel like you can trust the club’s recommendations and new directions. In short, the club has your back.
As far as its membership choices go, alongside its wonderful array of 90+, Natural, West Coast, and Sparkling Wines, the Cellar Wine Club also has a dedicated Sweet club unlike all the rest.
Finally, you don’t have to worry about a monthly minimum sign-up; plus, shipping is free for all of its options. You won’t find either of these features in many other clubs.
The Small Print
There isn’t really anything to worry about in the small print of this club. Matters that concern members like delivery, cancellation and satisfaction are covered upfront in the FAQs. There’s also a page focusing on Privacy where concerns about the use of personal information are addressed.